The much-talked-about Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz super-fight has been set for UFC 137 in October.
UFC president Dana White announced via his Twitter account Wednesday that the fight will take place at UFC 137 on Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
White was unavailable for comment, but NBCSports.com spoke to Cesar Gracie, Diaz's manager and trainer, who confirmed that Diaz had signed a new "multi-fight, multi-year" deal with the UFC.
"There was a lot of misinformation — there were a lot of reports out there that weren't true," Gracie said. "Showtime, I don't think was a problem, to be honest with you, at all. They don't have a contract with Nick. Nick's contract is strictly with Explosion (Strikeforce's parent company prior to the Zuffa purchase). It has never been a contract with Showtime. So the reports you heard were erroneous and false.
"Other than that, the hurdles were the (Jeff) Lacy thing, stuff like that. I don't know if they were Strikeforce, and if they were, Nick signed a new contract that dissolved his old contract with Strikeforce."
Gracie was unsure whether Diaz's Strikeforce title will be on the line. When asked whether this fight signaled the end of Diaz's run in Strikeforce, he said:
"Hopefully. If he's back in Strikeforce, I would imagine that's because he lost his next fight."
The nation grieved for those hurt, killed and affected by the Boston Marathon bombings. After one of the suspects was caught on Friday — following a day-long lockdown and manhunt — sports returned to Boston over the weekend.
St-Pierre (22-2) defeated Jake Shields, a teammate of Diaz's, at UFC 129 in Toronto last month. The current UFC 170-pound king hasn't lost since April 2007.
UFC President Dana White (above) embarrassed after Gray Maynard beat Clay Guida by split decision to win a lightweight bout and the main event of the UFC card in Atlantic City.
Can anyone top the big three of Silva, Jones, and GSP as the best pound-for-pounder fighter?