How well do you know Ryder Cup history? Try this quiz:
1. Where did the Ryder Cup get its name?
a.) An English seed merchant.
b.) A tabloid columnist.
c.) A rental truck company that paid $50 million to be the title sponsor.
2. Who is the oldest player in Ryder Cup history?
a.) Fred Funk
b.) Christy O'Connor Sr.
c.) Raymond Floyd
3. Which American has won the most points in the Ryder Cup?
a.) Billy Casper
b.) Jack Nicklaus
c.) Gardner Dickinson
4. Where was the first Ryder Cup held?
a.) Valhalla Golf Club
b.) Worcester Country Club
c.) Newport Country Club
5. Which Ryder Cup tandem has won the most matches?
a.) Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson
b.) Seve Ballesteros and Jose Maria Olazabal
c.) Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson
6. Which player has had the most partners in the Ryder Cup?
a.) Raymond Floyd
b.) Bernhard Langer
c.) Tiger Woods
7. Who was the last player to win all five of his matches?
a.) Justin Rose
b.) Larry Nelson
c.) Corey Pavin
8. Who has played in the most Ryder Cup matches?
a.) Bernhard Langer
b.) Sam Snead
c.) Nick Faldo
9. What is the surname of the first set of brothers to compete in the same Ryder Cup?
10. What significant change in the Ryder Cup occurred in 1979?
a.) Players from continental Europe were eligible.
b.) Captains no longer could play in the matches.
c.) The Ryder Cup turned its first profit.
11. Which U.S. captain put together the No. 1 and No. 2 players in the world, only to see them get beat on the last hole?
a.) Hal Sutton
b.) Ben Crenshaw
c.) Dave Stockton
12. The Ryder Cup was not played on consecutive days in 1951 at Pinehurst. Why was no golf played on Saturday?
a.) Record flooding.
b.) A hurricane warning.
c.) Both teams attended a college football game.
13. Who is the youngest player to compete in the Ryder Cup?
a.) Tiger Woods
b.) Sergio Garcia
c.) Gene Sarazen
14. How many majors did Jack Nicklaus win before competing in his first Ryder Cup?
15. Where was the first Ryder Cup held outside of England or the United States?
c.) St. Andrews
16. Who was the last playing captain at the Ryder Cup?
a.) Dai Rees
b.) Dave Marr
c.) Arnold Palmer
17. Who holed a 45-foot putt to complete the biggest comeback in Ryder Cup history?
a.) Justin Leonard
b.) Peter Baker
c.) Philip Walton
18. Name the only player to go 18 holes in all five matches.
a.) Phil Mickelson
b.) Curtis Strange
c.) Tom Watson
19. What is considered the greatest gesture of sportsmanship in the Ryder Cup?
a.) Jack Nicklaus conceding Tony Jacklin a short par putt in 1969 so the Ryder Cup would end in a tie.
b.) Hal Sutton sending out Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson as partners — twice.
c.) Ben Crenshaw waiting until after the 1999 matches were over before crying.
20. Who made a hole-in-one to close out his singles match?
a.) Howard Clark
b.) Scott Verplank
c.) Paul Casey
21. When was the last time the year's four major champions played in the Ryder Cup?
22. Name the only European who has a winning record despite having never played on a winning team (minimum three events)?
a.) Henry Cotton
b.) Peter Oosterhuis
c.) Tony Jacklin
23. Who was Bernhard Langer's opponent when he missed his 6-foot par putt on the 18th hole at Kiawah Island?
a.) Hale Irwin
b.) Mark Calcavecchia
c.) Payne Stewart
24. Where did Europe win on American soil for the first time?
a.) Muirfield Village
b.) Oak Hill
c.) PGA National
25. Name the only player to beat Tiger Woods in a Ryder Cup singles match.
a.) Jesper Parnevik
b.) Costantino Rocca
c.) Lee Westwood
26. Who was the only American who failed to earn a point as a captain's pick?
a.) Curtis Strange
b.) Jay Haas
c.) Fred Couples
27. Who has earned the most singles points without ever having lost a match?
a.) Tom Kite
b.) Colin Montgomerie
c.) Tom Lehman
28. Name the only American who lost the decisive singles match and won the decisive singles match.
a.) Jim Furyk
b.) Justin Leonard
c.) Andy North
9. c (Charles, Ernest and Reg)
11. b (Tiger Woods and David Duval)
12. c (Tennessee beat North Carolina, 27-0)
21. a (Nick Faldo, Curtis Strange, Mark Calcavecchia and Payne Stewart)
Latest golf video
Merion showed the players who the real winner was
The U.S. Open at Merion was a week to remember for Justin Rose and the fans, but it was a week to forget for just about everyone else. Merion did the unthinkable and made the "Immortals" look human.
Top 10 'accessible' golf courses
From California to Florida, these amazing greens are open for anyone to play.